Monday, June 26, 2006

Nicaragua

Hola! Como estan usted? I say that, because in San Marco, Nicaragua....they use usted unlike Comayagua. I started my first day of language school today, got to meet some very beautiful and loving people at Ave Maria and in the town. The trip from Comayagua, Honduras was long and because of a stomach sickness it was rough, however it was amazingly beautiful. The landscape and the people along the way were a total blessing from God. As we drove through Masaya and into San Marcos in Nicaragua, my love for the Latin American culture grew even more. The willingness to offer anything that could help us, even their meal for the night....out of love is probably the most profound thing I've seen yet. I have a hard time myself giving up things, and they are plentiful. It amazes me the amount of love they have amidst all the pain, hurt, and injustice...once again a clear and beautiful PROOF of the existence of God. On my heart right now as we left Honduras for a month or two, have been two families I have already grown very close to. One is a family of 5 children and the sister (who has taken the role of mother, 150%) Carrina....they are one of the poorest families I have encountered and Christ has stirred in me to love. I call Carrina the mother because their own mother is a prostitute and is close to never home at all. Carrina is seen leading the 5 children with a newborn (maybe 3 months old) in her arms, head unsupported, dirty, coughing....with the other children half naked running around, with no sense of obedience, societal rules, etc. From the moment I met them, out of the ugliness of my own comfort level, I was apprehensive to interacting with them...but God stripped me of all that, showing me how much I had to be humbled and I was able to hold the baby...and slowly day after day become closer with the children. Patience and utter unconditional love is needed for these children, for they have had no education, not parental supervision and do not understand right or wrong for the most part...its heart breaking but it is a common thing to find in Comayagua. In most situations like these, Prayer and Unconditional Love are the ONLY option....we need to learn to rely more on prayer like our ancestors...that is also something God is showing me I have forgotten. For many in this world, prayer is the ONLY thing they can do, and the power they believe their prayers possess is Inspiring. Sadly, this is how we should all be regardless of our situation...but because (and this is simply my idea in my own life) of my idea of capitalism and my upbringing in it, I rely TOO much on myself....not valuing God as my sole provider, sole counselor, and most importantly I need to learn to live "Into your hands, Lord, I commend my spirit." In fact, joseph(my roomate) and I, are going to paint a picture with that verse on our wall....its becoming our motto in learning humility. The other family I am drawing closer to is Rosa's family, a loving wife with 3 children with cerebral palsy, who's backs are consequently stuck straight and they cannot bend, let alone walk or move on their own. I have visited them and I hope to take over Katies role as family friend and physical therapist. Katie is one of my former roomates who left yesterday to enter the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal in NY!!! Praise God! Anyways, Rosa's family is very poor and was found by the friars in the mountain unable to travel because of the childrens conditions, but they are one of the most beautiful and devout families I have met. Please pray for them. However, as I continue to repeat, there is so much hope and beauty in their poverty....of which we here try to emulate in everyway. It is the closest I have seen people draw to Christ in every outlet of their life because they have nothing else to rest their hope in. Ahh....it shows me how much I have to grow. I must go now, Im off to Holy Hour with Carol, Laura, and Joseph at the Chapel that is on the top of the mountain in San Marcos...looking down on a huge part of Managua, Nicaragua. I pray that all is well, please continue to pray for the Church, the Pope, the missioners here and in Honduras, as well as the people all over the world living lives of injustice and true poverty. It has been a breaking process- coming face to face with Real poverty- people who dont know if they will eat that night, children not going to class because they cant afford it, women being used to sexual and physical abuse as almost societly OK.....so please pray that I have strength through it all. I thank The Lord everyday for the support I have back home and I know that everytime I celebrate Mass here that it is the same Mass and the same Eucharist the whole Body of Christ is receiving and that allows you to be with me as I am with you, just like Christ said...

Adios.....a simple way we say goodbye here....with in itself means God be with you....


Andres

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home